top of page


If you are not sure if you need a permit, PLEASE call the Building Department.

If you are not doing the work yourself, you must hire a Michigan licensed contractor.

This contractor should pull the permits, making them liable for the project.

If you are unsure if your contractor is licensed, contact the Building Department at 269-424-3125.

Before you DIG - It's fast and free to call Miss Dig @ 811 or check the web at: !

We are pleased to introduce Cloud Based Permit System!

Our new Cloud-Based Building and Zoning Application and Inspection System is real time with on-line interaction from the zoning application through final certificate of occupancy!



Building Inspector  - Scott Saunders

Cell Phone:  269-999-6475

Office Phone:  269-424-3125



Office Hours:

Monday 10am to noon; Wednesday 9am to noon

or by appointment

FEMA and Floodplain - see Building Inspector


Electrical Inspector - Ron Bellaire

Cass Co Insp: Mon & Wed

Phone:  269-663-3429


Plumbing & Mechanical Inspector - John Dobberteen

Phone:  269-651-4567

Fax:  269-687-2726




Demo/Commercial/Residential Permit

video tutorial for cloud permit




Electrical Permit Instructions
Electrical Permit Application

Mechanical Permit Application

Plumbing Permit Application


you may need this first if you are building within 500 ft of a lake or stream or over an acre in size.

FAQ and Examples




Sectional Drawing     

Framing and Footing for Decks

Complaint about your residential builder?

The state Bureau of Construction Codes (BCC) is

responsible for application reviews and investigates complaints against residential builders, and maintenance and alterations contractors - call (517) 241-9309 or (licensing questions) or (complaint questions).

FOR ZONING permits & ordinances - click here

Short term rentals - are not a permitted use - see ordinances below:

R-1 Single Residential Family District

R-2 Residential District

Waterfront District

The planning commission is looking into addressing short term rentals.

bottom of page